Friday, January 23, 2009

Week6-thing 15

My thoughts on the articles: They all seemed to have the common theme of moving away from a traditional library (what ever that may be), and incorporating technology so that users can go where no other humans have gone before. My son actually tried to do this once when he threw his little body at the TV. It was sort of weird watching how he bounced off. He went one way in slow motion and the Enterprise went the other way at warp speed. I think I like the idea of making things as user friendly as possible so that the information is more easily attainable. But on the flip side I also think that more attention needs to be given to the teaching of research skills. If the information is not easily found, how do you go about finding it--what search terms do you need to use? Where do you look? What do you do when you get 1,000 hits? I still see the Librarian as the Teacher. There is so much out there, sometimes I think too much and it becomes a major sensory overload and you have to pick out those things that will be most beneficial to the users. I don't see libraries as just warehouses for books, I do think that we need to be in the forefront when it comes to technology. I think the article I liked most and could relate to was "Into a New World of Librarianship." Library 2.0 is a reality and I think a Force, and I see my role as the one who will search out those tools that will facilitate learning and implement them into the library. And now I will leave you with a great line from "Star Trek: TNG:
  • Q: "It's an unknown – isn't that enough?"

Picard: "If you'd earned that uniform you're wearing, you'd know it's the unknown that brings us out here!"

2 comments:

  1. And so whaat is our uniform? I still have the tiara!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Gosh, the Tiara--I was wondering what happened to that. I could use that when I have the boys so that there is not doubt who reigns in this house. Well, I'm not sure about the uniform, what I liked most was the unknown and seeking it out.

    ReplyDelete