Monday, January 26, 2009

Week7-Wikis

I have just spent several days looking over the different Wikis. What I found most interesting about them is how much can be done with a Wiki, and how even in a specific area like "Library" there are so many different areas that can be covered, but not necessarily all on one Wiki. I also learned that Wiki Wiki in Hawaiian is a word used to mean something fast. The Wikis I liked most were the ones that were kept current, so I was a little disappointed with Book Lovers Wiki because it was a sort of one time thing, which doesn't seem like what a Wiki should be. I really liked the Teacherlibrarianwiki (and there were others that I really liked too) because it had information on it that I found very useful. I liked how the topics were organized and I even found a slide show on "fair use" that was what I was looking for on the internet but couldn't find. I think the one point that came up in all the sites about wikis was how they can be used to collaborate with teachers--they can be used for presentations, projects, book clubs and on and on (I have it all written down). I think I would like to one day create a Wiki at our school site. I also liked the idea of conference wikis--by any chance, and I should know this, was there a CSLA wiki put together that covered the different sessions? It would be great to look over some of the sessions (topics, handouts) that I wanted to go to but couldn't.

1 comment:

  1. Wikis are cool. My YALit class at CSUS is done partially through a wiki. You can see some of the conference postings on our wiki at http://csla2008conference.pbwiki.com/FrontPage
    The executive director is supposed to be posting all the handouts from all the sessions, but so far I don't see it. Keep checking the csla.net page for updates.

    ReplyDelete